Understanding the Divorce Process with our Bakersfield Family Law Attorneys
Accurately Guiding You through Divorce
Fear of the unknown is often worse than what the unknown reveals itself
to be--and divorce is no different. Like anything else, it is far easier
and less stressful to take divorce head-on when you know what to expect.
The divorce process can be incredible complicated, as it vastly varies
from couple to couple. However, one fact remains the same: you will be
going from a couple who shared everything to a single person who can take
control back over his or her life.
Though every divorce is different, the following is a general guideline
of the entire process:
- A petition for dissolution of the marriage is filed by either party.
- The other party is served, and has 30 days to respond. If the other party
fails to respond, a judgement will be filed by default.
- Once divorce is filed, either party may need to request temporary court
orders in regards to custody or alimony.
- There is an exchange of information and documents, as hiding any assets
or property is illegal. Other factors, such as child custody, visitation,
and scheduling arrangements are determined.
- If both parties agree, a Bakersfield family law attorney will help you
finalize these agreements.
- If parties cannot agree, a judge will make a decision following a hearing or trial.
- After all of the above has been resolved, a general judgement will complete
all issues of your case.
- If one party does not uphold his or her end of the agreement, he or she
may be found in contempt of court.
Contact Our Bakersfield Family Law Attorneys Today
Understanding the divorce process is immensely easier with the help of
a Bakersfield family law attorney you can trust. At Campbell Whitten,
we believe in helping our clients feel as comfortable as possible by easing
their concerns with our attentive and compassionate legal care. Though
the divorce process may seem daunting, you can rest assured you are in
more than capable hands with us on your side.
Call (661) 735-1038 to schedule an initial consultation today.